Thursday, January 26, 2012

Zzzzzzzz

Between staying up til midnight last night working on my peacock quilt and having a sick baby home all day, I am tired and ready to go to bed.  Of course, my 3 year old has other plans.

I have been making progress on the peacock quilt, but it is never as fast as I would like it to go.  Take for instance last night.  I decided to sew on the binding because the borders were essentially done and I doubted the quilt was going to shift any further.  I figured if I got the binding on, I could hand close it while watching my baby at home today.  Well, I got about 1/4 the way around the quilt and thought to myself, "DUH!  If there was ever a time to try machine binding, it was on this quilt!  I mean the border is a nice dark color and the back is so busy, if I made a mistake somewhere, no one would find it.  So I got the seam ripper out and took of the binding and reapplied it to the back side.  But, I wasted a good 45 minutes or so.  Today I managed to finish putting it to the top side.  While I don't mind the way it turned out on this quilt (I'll have pictures later), I'm not sure I will do every quilt this way.  There is something to be said about how neat and trim a hand applied binding looks.

I have a few more things left to do on the quilt before it is finished.  There are a couple of spots in the border that I need to redo, I need to add the label, and I wanted to add a couple of things to top in some of the squares between the blocks.  Since I have already done all the in-the-ditch quilting, I'm not worried about shifting, so I saved those sections for last in case I didn't have time.

Hopefully, tomorrow I can accomplish those items before I go teach art to 3rd graders.  I taught the stick project to the Kindergartners on Wednesday and they really seemed to enjoy it.  It was rather messy, no doubt adding to their pleasure.  I think it took me and the 2 volunteers about as long to clean up as it took to teach the class.

I can hear that our evening TV show is coming to an end, so it's time to put the girls to bed and get there myself.  Zzzzzzzz.... I am ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.