Sunday, January 29, 2012

January Free Motion Challenge

One of the cool challenges I have joined is the Sew Cal Gal's Free Motion Quilt Challenge.  I really want to improve my skills in this area as I am always admiring the wonderful work of others and want to be able to do more than just in-the-ditch quilting.  Each month a new expert gives a tutorial which members of the challenge are encouraged to try and practice.  January's tutorial from Frances Moore was how to do a leaf motif. 

At some point during the month, you have to make a sample and post it on the Sew Cal Gal's blog.  Many of the participants have made quilt tops with special blocks for each month's challenge.  I chose to make a placemat for each month's challenge.  Here is my January project, made from leftovers from my stripe Batik quilt:

"top" of placemat

detail (stitches are still a little uneven)

"back" of placemat

I had a lot of fun doing this month's challenge and am really looking forward to next month's, which I hear may be a feather!

You can still join the challenge at the link above!

4 comments:

  1. Think you've done a lovely job here Newbie Jen. Really like the placemat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea ... matching placemats with the FMQing design of each month to show off your work!! ... Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on your win!! ... Your stitches are amazingly even! I am very impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are a pro. Love the place mat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your win for January's FMQ Challenge! Your place at is quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.