Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Les Amis cont. - WIP Wednesday


Les Amis top

80 HST's later and my Les Amis top is done!  It's not so much the making of that many HST's, it's the trimming that takes forever.  Normally, I would shy away from using this much white for a baby quilt, but I think making those depression blocks last month got this design stuck in my head.

Now to decide how I want to quilt it.  I keep thinking feathers, but we'll see what happens.  Who would have thought this time last year that I would even entertain doing feathers on anything?

This quilt is destined for a cold climate, so I ordered some wool batting.  It will be my first time using it, and I am considering layering it with my usual cotton blend batting.  Does anyone out there have any tips or things I really need to know before giving wool a go?

This Wednesday...

Completed Projects:
  • Bee Blocks - Lucky Stars BOM for February
  • Blue One Block Wonder quilt is DONE! I just need to photograph it so I can share. 

On-going Projects:

AKA - "stuff I plan to touch this week or next".
  • Bee Blocks & BOM blocks - Skill Builder BOM blocks, Make it Modern blocks and Simply Solids blocks all need to be done.
  • Star of Africa Bee - catch up continues  
  • Curves Class goodies - I finally got the printer working!  Now that I have some templates to work with, I think I should make something, yes?
  • Discontinuity Quilt - top is done, backed and basted.  Awaiting quilting.
  • Les Amis Baby quilt - top complete.

Back Burner:

These will likely be touched in a couple of weeks.
This week's stats:
Completed projects - 1 ish
New projects - 0
Currently in Progress - 5

Don't forget to link up any blocks you have been working on to the Building Blocks Tuesday post!

And as always, thanks for reading,

Jen

Quilter in the Closet

Linking up with
 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. I love this, and it is a beautiful baby blanket. Woo hoo to the feathers too, I think they would be perfect. My thoughts on the wool are 100 percent yes. My thoughts on wool and cotton are why make things harder on yourself? A wool baby quilt will be be soft, cuddly, will show off the quilting, and
    darn near perfect. That's just me though :) Sparkle on Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet quilt Jen! Wool batting will be so snuggly warm too. Haven't ever used it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little baby quilt. Such soft colours... just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Jen! And yes to feathers from me too - I think this we be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow ! I am not a feathers person myself but I have to admit that they seem like the perfect thing for this one…

    And trimming. Bane of my existence. Probably why I don't do more HSTs… I have scrap HSTs that are waiting for me to press and trim before I can turn them into anything and I just haven't worked up the energy yet. There's a LOT of them, trimmings from many a flying goose block. I get a little over-whelmed just thinking about it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is just lovely Jen! Feathers would be the icing on the cake too.

    Have never used wool batting but I'm with Esther on not making life more difficult than it needs to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! I am just like you re HSTs... love them except the trimming part. I found a ruler in my stash that helps ease the pain a bit! Now I'm looking at my other specialty rulers with a bit more interest... lol http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/rulers_display.asp?i=1087

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilt! I am working on a boy Les Amis quilt at the moment that is super scrappy and I would love to make one like yours :)

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.