Sunday, October 21, 2012

Reclassification - UFO Sunday

We interrupt our regularly scheduled book review to bring you a truly rare event - a languishing UFO has been spotted on the sewing table and may be in need of reclassification.......


This quilt has been languishing for some time.  It IS the first quilt I pieced together with the thought of keeping it for myself.  I loved it.  Loved it so much that when I finished it, it sat (sandwiched, marked, etc) in a heap in the corner of my "studio" since March, waiting.  Waiting till I was good enough to quilt it myself, waiting for me to find the right thread, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Honestly, I think it waited out of fear.  I was fearful that I would mess it up.  It's the first thing I made for myself, and I wanted it to be perfect.  Is it?  NO.  I messed up loads while quilting it.  I even abandoned some of the marking because I have "developed" since marking it and it didn't make complete sense to try to stick with something that wasn't going to work for me.  Oh, and I never did find the color thread I had in mind.  As for perfection, I guess I could always make another one in a year or two.  But, this one is DONE, and I can start to enjoy seeing it hanging on my wall or laying on the bed instead of wasting away in a crumbled heap in the garage.  Furthermore, I cannot describe the satisfaction of being able to say it is done.  It feels so good!



Well, almost done.  It still needs to be labeled, defuzzed, washed, blocked, and hung.  This isn't the last you will see of it.  I am hoping to enter it into the Bloggers Quilt Festival coming up soon at Amy's Creative Side.

Ah, yes, the reclassification.  I think it needs to be put into the FFO category.  The "F" ?  Sure, it could stand for "finally", or I'm sure there are some other "F" words that might suit.

What's next?

Jen

Linking up with:

UFO Sundays on the Free Motion Quilting Project

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a finish! I know exactly what you mean about putting something off because of the fear of messing up! I have no fear of trying out complicated piecing but it is a different story when it comes to quilting :) I really like your quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooow, the quilt ist soo very beautiful! It`s great!The fabric and coleurs so nice!

    Greatings from Klaudia (Germany)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great finish. I hear ya about messing up. Sometimes i think we need to push through our fear of mistakes and just "go for it". BTW, I love your new "f" acronymn. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love the way you quilted it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love FFO! Only people with my warped sense of humor can truly appreciate the expression! Your quilt is beautiful and what a thrill it is to finish one!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting design really adds a lot to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job - your quilting looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! Such a beauty... and I agree that sometimes a project just needs to "rest" until the right time to tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a stunning quilt. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilting, the spirals give it a lot of movement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colour play in blues! You've done a great job. Yes, our quilting does develop with practise, doesn't it. Funny how that happens. :) Keep it up. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful - and such a good feeling to have it finished I know! Your quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning! The design and the choice of colours as well as the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats!! a really great quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.