Sunday, October 28, 2012

Quilting Modern - Inspirational Sunday book review

For today's Inspirational Sunday, I am reviewing Quilting Modern by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson.  If you remember, I listed this one as one of my new favorites during my stop on the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop.



Why do I like this book?
  • The quilt patterns are great.  I mean with a title like Quilting Modern, you better get some cool quilting patterns right?  I referenced this book several times while quilting my Totally Groovy quilt above (can you tell?).  There are several pages covering straight-line quilting, curved quilting, free-motion quilting, the use of decorative stitches, and quilting on a long arm (if you are inclined).  There are fabulous photographs showing many of the motifs discussed, plus a few that they don't.  They also give some great tips on how to choose a quilting motif for your modern quilts.
  • I just love the projects in this book!  21 in all, and at least half of them are on my "want to do" list.  They also include smaller projects like pillows and place mats to try out the techniques.  I appreciate that as time is limited sometimes.
  • The skills built in this book mostly have to do with improvisational piecing, something I think anyone can accomplish without too much difficulty and get fantastic results.  "Slice and Insert", "Stitch and Flip", and Improvisational Curves are also presented with projects for each technique. Angled and strip piecing are also discussed.
  • Bonus tips and hints throughout the book - including how to sew an invisible zipper closure for pillows and 3 or 4 different ways to make a design wall for your studio.
Doesn't it seem like you get a lot in this book??


I also enjoyed reading their philosophy:

  • Honor the Past
  • Release Your Inner Artist
  • Embrace Serendipity
  • Fail
  • Savor the Moment
  • Make a Friend
  • Free Yourself
I won't copy what they wrote about each point, but the failure one really hit home, "Improvisation is about trial and error.  Cherish every mistake or misstep as a learning opportunity.  Many of us don't start out of fear that we won't succeed.  We recommend failing right from the start.  Get it out of the way and move forward."  -- Great advice, don't you think?  

I think I have mastered failing right from the start!  But, they are right in that some people need to make mistakes in order to learn.  I am definitely in that category and I think you can tell by reviewing my projects chronologically.

Do I recommend it?  
  • Yes!  Even if you aren't into modern quilting, this book has a lot to offer.  If you are into modern quilting, then it is a must have!
The project I can't wait to try...
  • The Illusions Quilt - I want to make it in aquas, although the black and white is very appealing also (and goodness knows I have a lot of those in my stash at the moment).
  • Tipsy City Quilt - so colorful!
Jacquie Gering blogs at Tallgrass Prairie Studio - check out her digital portfolio for pictures of many of the projects from this book, including the Illusions Quilt, and many more inspirational patterns.

Katie Pedersen blogs at Sew Katie Did - check out her Tutorials page.  She has some great ones, and links to some of her favorite tutorials found on the web too.

I hope you enjoyed this book review.  I'm going to go leaf through the pages one more time and perhaps make a plan to get that Illusions quilt started!

Thanks for reading today,

Jen


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I love this book as well - I was lucky enough to win a copy on Jacquie's blog - and haven't done nearly as much as I want to with it. I imagine it will keep me interested for years to come.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.