Sunday, March 11, 2012

Whale of a Day

Not much sewing happens around here on the weekends, so I thought I would tell you about the fun festival I took the kids to last weekend.  My DH was out of town, and I always struggle with what to do with the kids when he is gone.  A friend heard about this lovely festival and we made a playdate out of it.  It was called a Whale of a Day in Point Vicente (near Palos Verdes), and it was awesome!  And Free!!!

The festival is to celebrate the migrating gray whales and Point Vicente is a good place to spot them.  Of course, we didn't see any that day, but plenty of "professional" whale watchers were camped out with their binoculars looking to the ocean.  The festival had all kinds of activities for the kids, including the favorite bouncy house, also face painting, various crafts, a marching band, a fire truck, etc.  Two of my favorite activities were the Mobile Aquarium from the Aquarium of the Pacific, and seeing the different wildlife on exhibit from one of the nature centers.  The wildlife was amazing.  They had a real wolf (surrounded by two fences, in case you were wondering), a beautiful brown eagle, some llamas (not sure where they are "wild" in California), a desert tortoise, several snakes, a red tailed hawk, I could go on and on!  It was really neat to see these creatures so close and try to teach my kids about them.  I am a little worried that they are doomed to be "city kids", and not understand the importance of nature.  I guess I will just have to keep trying.

I can't believe I didn't take any pictures.  I had my hands pretty full though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.