This is how they turned out:
I followed Kat's instructions with the following exceptions: I used a much heavier interfacing (Peltex) so my baskets would be stiffer, and on the final basket I tried to quilt it before assembly.
The Peltex did make my baskets stiffer and more sturdy, but it also made them a lot harder to turn right side out when the time came in the instructions. I really struggled with the third basket's handle (it took me almost 30 minutes!), but the fabric was also a little less stretchy than the others. I also topstitched two lines of stitching around all the edges, just to make it lie flatter.
To make the 3rd basket look quilted, I added an extra step in the very beginning. I placed one exterior rectangle on my Peltex rectangle (right side up), pinned in place, and quilted a grid (I actually marked the grid directly on the opposite side of the Peltex because no one is going to see it). I was lazy and just wanted to use my walking foot, thus the grid instead of something more festive. I repeated for the other exterior rectangle and Peltex rectangle. THEN, I started with Kat's instructions (Step 1) to layer the interfacing and exterior fabric's together. I'm sure with a different fabric choice, the results would have been amazing.
|given the pattern of the fabric, you can barely see the grid I quilted|
Here are the baskets again, all ready to go: