Sunday, February 23, 2014

Inspirational Sunday (22) - via the 2013 International Quilt Festival in Long Beach

I thought we would take a quick break from spring inspired quilts today and share a few quilts I recognized that were made by fellow bloggers.

First up, this showstopper by Geta Grama of Rasnov, Brasov, Romania, called "A World of Many Colors".  She blogs over at Geta's Quilting Studio, so go check her gorgeous stuff out.  She has some great bag and quilt patterns.

This quilt won Honorable Mention in the Innovative Applique category.  It used shadow trapunto (something Geta has written a book about), fused applique, and wholecloth techniques.  It is an original design and is even more stunning in person than I could capture with my little camera.

"A World of Many Colors" by Georgeta Grama of Brasov, Romania

She says she "combined in this quilt the things I love most: color, circular design, and trapunto."

"A World of Many Colors" by Georgeta Grama, close up

As if the design wasn't "WOW" enough, the quilting is fantastic.

The next quilt was made by Lee Henrich of the Freshly Pieced blog.  She hosts the weekly linkup for WIP Wednesday.  She is from Mequon, Wisconsin.  This is her "Supernova" quilt which is pieced, and free-motion quilted.

"Supernova" by Lee Heinrich of Mequon, WI

She says, "I wanted to explore a different type of star block - one that was cleaner, more modern, and simplified, but yet still had a "radiating" quality.  Eventually I came up with this block, which reminded me of an explosion in a zero-gravity situation.  In fact, that's why I extended each star point straight off the quilt.  I enjoyed playing around with color graduations in the blocks, generally working the colors from darkest at the center out to lighter at the edges."


The last one for today is "Opposing Triangles" by Katie Pedersen and quilted by Krista Withers.  Katie blogs over at Sew Katie Did , and has co-authored one of my favorite books, Quilting Modern .  She lives in Seattle, Washington.  This quilt is improvisationally pieced, and long arm quilted.  It is an original design.

"Opposing Triangles" by Katie Pedersen quilted by Krista Withers of Seattle, WA

She says, "I love the graphic nature of triangles and wanted to play with them in a more improvisational fashion.  Each triangle is outlined in white to create the effect of a continuous line linking all the triangles together.  Densely quilting the negative space and leaving the triangles with a solid look really emphasized their presence.  Krista's organic quilting in the negative space perfectly blends the softness of the triangles analogous color scheme.  I think the final design is modern and edgy, yet calming at the same time.

"Opposing Triangles" by Katie Pedersen, quilted by Krista Withers, close up


The quilting really is fabulous!

Have you ever been to a show and noticed a fellow blogger's work?


Thanks for reading today,


Jen



3 comments:

  1. What beautiful quilts! I saw several blogger's quilts when I went to the AQS show in Phoenix. It is so exciting!! I even saw one quilt that inspired me to make a quilt - I was squealing I was so excited :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Geta's, I love them all but especially hers! such a clever optical illusion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geta's quilt is stunning, how wonderful to be able to see it for real!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.