Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Chain of Fools - Chain piecing for WIP Wednesday

Where or where does my week go?  It is Wednesday again, and I've been busy with all sorts of stuff, including some quilting.

Monday, I started working on this little block.

Houses in progress

You may remember that while I am working on what I want when I want, there was one exception.  I really needed to get my last 3 Star of Africa blocks done.  As it happened my Lazy Bum group for UFO's decided that February's project theme would be making something for someone else.  Perfect!  Not only will I get them done, but I will participate in this month's theme too.

While cute on their own, these houses are destined to be set in San Francisco.   What?  You couldn't guess by the rain?  Yep, in San Francisco it even rains inside the houses!  No, not really.  I meant for it to look like the reflection in the windows.  I also thought about trying to paper piece the skyline or a bridge in the background, but the size of the block was limiting.  I decided to just embroider the bridge in the background.  If all goes well, it will be postcard-like.  Stay tuned to see how it turns out.

I've also been doing a LOT of chain piecing.  And yes, I hum "Chain, chain, chaaaaainnnnnnn" when I do it.  I hope I am not just a link in the chain of fools.

chain piecing in progress


Those pieces eventually turned into these.  Quite a lot of work for what you get, but I guess we will all have to wait and see if it is worth it.  (Perhaps I am a fool.)

Wee Wander blocks in progress

Don't forget to link up any blocks you've been working on to yesterday's Building Blocks Tuesday post.

As always, thanks for reading,

Jen

Linking up with:


 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

11 comments:

  1. I love that house block. Really, really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your projects. The houses are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are looking like English houses at the moment - still raining here, and more to come, groan. Two lots of fab blocks though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your houses Jen, wouldn't a whole terrace of them be wonderful! I have one block left to make for the Bee, I really need to knuckle down and get it done too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house blocks are wonderful! Love the rain fabric!! :)

    And you other blocks are great too, can't wait to see what you make with them. Thanks for the reference to that song. . . I think - I am now going to have that song dancing in my head when I chain piece LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not foolish! I love that light bright blue with the rich purple. Will be beautiful :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. nope your in a happy chain -- like those paper chains we made in elementary school -- bright and colorful. That song is now embedded in my head for the day -- so thanks for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think about the rain, but houses in SF are 2-3 story and narrow so yours would be perfect! I like them and am planning a quilt with houses. I like to applique things like this more than to piece quilt but the theory is the same!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your house block! Did you make up the paper piecing pattern yourself? If so, do you plan to share it, or sell it? I'd love to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your houses are adorabe, and I love your new blocks.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.