Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Forget about Maine and Nevada - Building Blocks Tuesday

I am home!  I actually got back late Thursday night, but my travel home was not without its hiccups.    My flight was outright cancelled.  Serves me right for thinking Atlanta was a safer bet than going through any northern hub.  Even after re-booking an alternate route, my last leg of travel was delayed for hours.  I really do have the worst luck.  I'm just saying that the next time I mention that I am traveling somewhere, and you happen to be traveling somewhere too, you might want to shoot me an email to make sure you are not on any of my flights!

My trip to visit Gram was great, and I believe she is finally home in her own place as I am writing this.  She really worked hard in rehab to be able to go home and I am proud of her.

While I was sitting with her and chatting, I worked on the hand projects I packed.  I basted some more hexagons.....

red hexagons in progress

That picture doesn't really look like much, but when I try to stack them in my hand, it looks like more.

Red hexagons in progress


I haven't bothered to count them because I know I am not even half way done!

I also started reverse appliqueing these little stars.......

star blocks in progress


I need 50 of them, and at last count have 30.  So, yeah for me, over half way!

Star blocks in progress


These projects are a little monotonous.  I tried to trick my brain into being excited for each star completed by naming each one after a state.  I attempted to go in alphabetical order off the top of my head, but once I got to all the "M" and "N" states, things got a little messed up.  I kept forgetting Maine and Nevada in my count.  I'm not sure how I could forget Maine lobster and Las Vegas, but my brain wasn't really at top performance levels.  I will blame it on the cold since my kids weren't there (I usually blame them for "Mommy Brain").

Do you ever play silly mind tricks like that to get through a lengthy project?

So, what blocks have you been working on?  I would love to see.  Link up your fabulous blocks.  You put a lot of hard work into them - show them off!  This free linky will stay open until the first Monday of next month, but I will repost it every Tuesday until a new month starts.


Quilter in the Closet

Rules:

1) Please link up only to the page in your blog showing your wonderful blocks, not just the blog homepage.  Flickr pictures are also OK.
2) Make sure to put your blog name as the description so people know where they are going or the name of your block!
3) Please grab my button and post it in your blog post or sidebar.
4) Visit other linky participants!

Thanks for reading!

Jen


6 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are back home -- I am guessing that you were trying to get back during our ice storm last week, definatly a far cry from sunny CA. Bet you were california dreamin for sure. Hexies are looking great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those reds are luscious! Welcome home... I'll have to try your creative mind tricks. I tend to think in segments - X more blocks... seams... rows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..lovely hexies..and i loved your reverse applique star. Thank you for stopping by my blog..will follow you to visit you more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Jen it does sound like your travels are jinxed! I doubt that I would get as far as M and N on the States but it certainly sounds like something to try next time I have a monotonous task in hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try snd do the same with British kings and queens, I can get about half way from 1066 then flounder! I've tried to add to the linky but not easy by phone, so sorry if it didn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those hexagons. I need to try EPP some day.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.