Friday, November 30, 2012

Olivia's quilt - a finish Friday

I just finished up Olivia's quilt for Christmas!

Olivia's Quilt front

It was about this time last year that I started making these machine appliqued blocks with the intention of making matching quilts for both my niece and my daughter, Olivia, who are only 3 1/2 months apart in age.  It was also about this time last year that my niece was diagnosed with AML Leukemia.  The family quickly circled the wagons and helped out with whatever was needed while Nina spent the next 6 months in the hospital.  I was not able to be at the hospital for the first few months because, living in the petri dish that is having 3 small kids in daycare or elementary school, I had a continuous cold.  While Nina was receiving chemotherapy, no one that was sick was allowed to be near her.  I felt useless, so I sewed.  

(In case you are wondering, Nina is doing great.  She has been in remission since being released and is one of the most adorable little tikes I know.)

With little time to spare, I finished Nina's quilt on Christmas Eve last year.  I then put Olivia's blocks aside for another time when I wasn't so stressed, and wasn't so rushed.  They sat in a box until a few weeks ago when I FINALLY pieced them together.  It took another week for me to get around to basting it, and I finally started the quilting on Tuesday.  Once I get a quilt going, I can focus enough to get it done, but actually getting it under the machine is a struggle sometimes.  (For example, have you seen my Vintage Holiday quilt lately?  No, because it is still sitting there basted and waiting.)

Olivia's quilt close up
closer up


I am so happy this one is done.  I felt a little guilty having my 3rd child, quiltless!

Olivia's quilt back
backing fabric - cheater!
I will be wrapping this one up and putting it under the tree.  

I even had a little fun with the binding.  After trying out the spirals on November's FMQ Challenge, I checked out some other designs my machine has.  There was this "Sweet" stitch.

sweet binding
Sweet binding

And this "love" stitch.

love binding
Love binding

Olivia is very "Sweet" and I "love" her very much, so it seemed a cute idea.

I am linking this up with TGIFF, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop, and Leah Day's UFO Sunday.  Since this one sat, languishing, for a year, I think it qualifies to be included in UFO Sunday.  Since it is still not labeled, it is still not completely finished - I hope the TGIFF people won't mind too much.

Thanks for reading,

Jen


UFO Sundays on the Free Motion Quilting Project

13 comments:

  1. Oh Jen it is beautiful! Your quilting is just lovely - I love how you've left the appliqué unquilted, it really pops. What a beautiful story too - I'm so glad to hear your niece is in remission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is stunning. Your quilting is amazing! I'm glad your niece is in remission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun quilt, your quilting is beautiful. I loved the story, and Olivia will love her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!

    Cracking idea re decorated binding....what sewing machine do you use?

    F x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, if I waited until I had labels on my quilts before sharing them on TGIFF!, I'd never have anything to share. Congratulations on a beautiful quilt, Jen. Your quilting is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are amazing! Love the details of your binding... such a great way to do it. And, I'm so glad that your niece is in remission. I can't imagine going through that. Sending blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely quilt. It looks like a fun one to FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely understand how you feel, my daughter had ALL (another form of leukemia) and it's really hard on everyone, definitely a situation where life is taken 1 day at a time without thought for tomorrow. I am so glad to hear your niece is in remission! Will keep her and your family in our prayers.

    Beautiful blocks on the quilt, I really love the applique :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I love the quilting it makes the motifs POP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful FMQ! I love the "sweet and lovely" binding

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt Jen, well done on another finish. I love the text stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful and well done.
    congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an AWESOME quilt! Fun binding stitches. I'm so very glad she's in remission.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.