Friday, February 21, 2014

Rock-N-Roll - a finish Friday

I am so happy it is Friday!  It has been a long week!

I have one small finish to share today.......my last Star of Africa Bee Block!  I am so happy to have these blocks finally finished.  They were a ton of fun to design and create, but stressful too.

Music themed Star of Africa Block

This one is for Irene who asked for a colorful music inspired block.  I was completely stumped for months.  I had some ideas, but they mostly involved people and I am not very good at drawing people yet.  For example, what could be more American that a cowgirl with a guitar (for Country music), or Elvis for that matter.  When it came down to it, I lacked the confidence to get those ideas right.

So, I continued thinking about just guitars.  It turns out that both of the brands of guitars that I am familiar with (meaning they must be famous) are American companies - Fender and Gibson.  So I Googled iconic guitars and started sketching.

The real challenge came when I had to decide which fabrics to use.  Turns out most iconic guitars are black, white or brown, with the occasional red or blue thrown in.  Not very colorful.  I also didn't have any flame fabric.  So, I started with some Tula Pink fabric which made me think of "Rock-N-Roll" but they started to get a little to matchy-matchy, and I really wanted at least one guitar to be red and none of my Tula fabrics were super friendly to red.  So I put my Tula away, picked out my red fabric and decided all the other guitars should be some form of blue to make the red one stand out.

I'm not sure if I succeeded or not, but there is the "finished" block.   I say "finished" because I am waiting to hear from Irene if she would like me to trim it up a bit more and add a skinny border in the same red fabric to make it even more colorful.  Plus, there seems to be a little extra space at the bottom that would be evened out with the addition of a border.

What do you think?

I have also finished one of the pillow shams that I was working on ages ago, but it is a set of two, so I will share when both are finished.


Thanks for reading today,

Jen

Linking up with:




11 comments:

  1. It's brilliant Jen, I am sure Irene will love it. I really need to get this last one finished too, like you I know what I want to do I just need to work out how to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic!! Love the blues to set off the red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you worried about the background but your chosen fabric fits perfectly. Awesome job, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Very nicely done!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant block - I love it! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for the "Like" button - think it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa!! That is one SUPER-COOL block! Irene is very lucky. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is awesome. I think you did a wonderful job and I love all of the different fabrics you used for each guitar.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.