Friday, September 13, 2013

Tinker tote 2, the sequel - a finish Friday

I told you I would be making more of these bags!  I made this one for my friend, who happens to be away with me on Mom-cation this weekend.

Front of Tinker Tote 2


What better "Welcome to Paradise" gift than a beach tote complete with beach towel and a couple magazines?  Her favorite color is blue, so I tried to stick to blue, navy, and aqua.

Back of Tinker Tote 2

I just love the lining fabric!  I used up nearly all that I have of this chevron.  I may have to get some more.

Inside Tinker Tote

As I mentioned previously, I took the Craftsy Class,  Quilt-As-You-Go: Patchwork Bags, a few months ago and really enjoyed it.  I made my first bag a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to tinker with the pattern a bit.  I choose to shorten the length of the bag a bit, which brought the center section up so it wasn't quite so low.

Front of Tinker Tote 2

With the first tote, I had the feeling that if it really were full of stuff, some of it might fall out because the midsection was so much lower than the sides.  I also lengthened the straps a couple of inches.  The original tinker tote had plenty of room for my arms to fit through the straps and I wasn't bothered by where it fell on my hip, I just didn't want it right up under my armpit.  Again, if the bag was actually full of stuff, this area might be a little uncomfortable.  Plus, since I altered the height of that midsection anyway, I needed a tad bit more room.

One more alteration I made....I inserted some Peltex into the bottom of the bag, after I boxed the corners, but before I put the lining in.  When you make the bag, you have a large bulky seam at the bottom of the bag.  It didn't bug me too much, but I thought if I could eliminate the bump it created, it would be better, right?  I simply cut a rectangle of Peltex roughly the size of my boxed bottom, and sewed it in place as best I could right through the seam on the bottom of the bag.   I didn't want it accidentally shifting, so I felt some stitches were necessary, but I didn't worry too much about going deep into the corners.  It was an awkward part to sew as it was.  The Peltex just smoothed out the bottom enough that you don't feel that bulky seam.  It had the added benefit of giving even more support to the shape of the bag.

I can still say that I highly recommend Quilt-As-You-Go: Patchwork Bags!  I know a sale is right around the corner, it would be an excellent grab at a good price.  Personally, I can't wait to try the technique on some other things.

Thanks for reading today,

Jen


Linking up with:










11 comments:

  1. I just love these colors! How much smaller did you make it Jen? I am going to buy this class next time they have a good sale. Love that chevron lining too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooooo pretty! Loving the colours!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is fabulous, Jen! Thanks for your thoughts on the class and sharing the changes you made to the pattern. I think I'll sign up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Jen! Thanks for writing about the changes you made. I have this class in my Craftsy account, but haven't gotten to it yet! I now have a lifetime supply of Peltex since I got a bit carried away in the store, so I might have to try it in this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get this class too - love the changes you have made to this - thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What good ideas you had for modifying the bag. The colors are so pretty and I like the block you added. I did the class but haven't started one yet. Machine is in the shop so it will have to wait. Have a great time - aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this one much better! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's lovely, and i think much better proportions than the original,thanks for the link :-) hope you have a great time

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these bags ! I've been enrolled for a while and I haven't started one yet so I think you've just given me the push and I'm going to take your tip and make it taller in the middle too !

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.