Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Monet quilt - Pantone Quilt Challenge entry


2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge


Behold!  My last minute (and only) entry for the 2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge.

Monet Inspired wall quilt

I've been planning this one for weeks, but was just able to get to it this week.

My Houses of Parliament close up

This wall quilt measures 19 inches by 15 inches and is inspired by Monet's Houses of Parliament series of paintings.  I used fusible to create the scene, then quilted the daylights out of it!

Now before you think I am the bee's knees for coming up with this idea.  I must admit that for a couple of weeks there, I was surrounded by purple Houses of Parliament.  It was one of the more recent projects that I taught to my daughters' classes at school through the Hands on Art program.  When Anne at Play-Crafts announced the Pantone color challenge the same week I was painting and teaching this purplicious project, I knew it was fate that I would attempt to make one in quilt form.

How did I do?  If you like what you see, head on over to Play-Crafts to see all the other awesome entries.

If you are interested in a more detailed step by step how I made this quilt, I took photos along the way and here is the tutorial so you can make your own.

Thanks for reading today,

Jen


Linking up with:



32 comments:

  1. This is amazing Jen! So much detail, I'm quite speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely Jen, the Houses of Parliament have never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is, by far, my favorite of all the Pantone quilts I've seen in blog land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! I love Monet paintings but with fabric they look even better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is absolutely fabulous! I love the intense quilting, but mostly how you have the light reflected and shining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful, I just love the quilting, it adds so much texture on top of the fabric! Congrats on getting it done in time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredible. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is sooooooo striking, just beautiful!! Being familiar with the Monet painting, and as purple is my favorite color, my eye was immediately drawn to your thumbnail photo in Sarah's hookups. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see the Monet in this and I love the purples you used to great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! I can't believe you made this in a week. Good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy monkey. :O This is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. I tried a couple of techniques new to me for my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jen this is stunning! And instantly recognisable!!! I love the idea of you teaching Houses of Parliament to children who have never seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is stunning - amazing you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just when I think you couldn't surprise me more. I love your "Monet." Today watching tv I listened to a woman who wanted to bring relevance to her life. And I thought about all the many things mothers must do to juggle so many responsibilities. Of course, raising and educating children and creating a loving and safe home is a huge part of relevance. But encouraging the creative mind and bringing beauty to those around you is also a manifestation of loving. Your talents and gifts to me and others continue to bring me joy. Yes, I am your Mom and AM biased but also ever analytical to the things that bring spiritual growth and awareness. Bless you, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've come and looked at this a few times and it just blows me away every time I do! It'll be a travesty if you don't win in this category because WOW! (Granted, I haven't gone to see what else has been posted in a couple days, but I find it pretty hard to imagine anyone topping this one.) Seriously, it's just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow! that is amazing! I looks like a painting from a distance

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you decided to tackle Monet in quilting. This quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is so cool!! So stunning, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the win! When saw your quilt I knew I really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Jen - that is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cool quilt! My husband picked this out as his favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is an amazing quilt!! Congratulations on the win!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! Your last minute entry is so stunning. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is really incredible - I love how you managed to work so much purple into a pictorial quilt. You tutorial on how you did it is really great as well - thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations, Jen! And thanks for sharing the how to - very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.