Sunday, March 23, 2014

Inspirational Sunday (25) - via the 2013 International Quilt Festival in Long Beach

For several weeks, I've been sharing nature inspired quilts, but today's quilts are more about man-made things.

First, "Tutti Frutti Village" by Susan Bleiweiss of Upton, Massachusetts.  It won Honorable Mention in the Art-Whimsical category.  She fused, raw-edge appliqued with machine stitching, and machine quilted this original design.

"Tutti Frutti Village" by Susan Bleiweiss of Upton, MA
She says, "This quilt was inspired by a digital sketch I did on my iPad using a very simple sketching application.  I used only my hand-dyed sandwashed cotton (yes, even the black is hand-dyed!)."

I guess that answers my question about her technique with the black outline of each shape.  This quilt is just so bright and cheerful.  Susan's "The Hummingbird" quilt that I shared last week is equally colorful.

This next one is called, "Fear of Flying" by Judy Coates Perez of Sacramento, California.  It is wholecloth painted and machine quilted.  Her design source was, "A scary flight home".

"Fear of Flying" by Judy Coates Perez of Sacramento, CA

She says, "On a flight home to Chicago, after filming QATV in Cleveland on March 7th last year, I happened to sit next to an aeronautical engineer.  Very high winds were causing extreme turbulence, which has always terrified me.  I will always be grateful to have witnessed the incredibly calm demeanor of this man, who knew everything about planes.  That made me realize I could let go of that all-encompassing fear.  Every flight since then has literally been a breeze."

"Fear of Flying" by Judy Coates Perez, close up

Sounds like this mysterious man should offer this as a service to others who have a fear of flying.

"Mabel - 1952 REO" by Susan Cane of Canaan, Connecticut won 2nd Place in the Art-Pictorial category.  She machine appliqued, machine quilted and painted this original design, inspired by a workshop with Katie Pasquini Masopust.

"Mabel - 1952 REO" by Susan Cane of Canaan, CT

She says, "This quilt was created from a photograph, taken by my husband, of the first antique truck we purchased together."

I recently spent some time in Canaan, CT when I visited my grandmother in January.  Rural Connecticut probably still has some of these trucks around.  Perhaps next time I visit I can snap my own picture.

This next quilt just amazes me!  It is called, "Around the Block" by Karen Eckmeier of Kent, Connecticut.  It won Honorable Mention in the Art-Whimsical category.  It uses fabric collage under tulle, topstitching, and is machine quilted.  The design source is Log Cabin Barn Raising.

"Around the Block" by Karen Eckmeier of Kent, CT

She says, "As quilters, we have "been around the block" when it comes to making quilts!  I thought it would be fun to substitute the central square of the Log Cabin design with a village so that it would be like walking around the block of several different towns."

"Around the Block" by Karen Eckmeier, close up 2

The little details in this quilt make it so interesting.  I looked at this quilt for a long time and was delighted each time I noticed something new.

"Around the Block" by Karen Eckmeier, close up 1

Isn't that border just amazing?

I think next week, we will return to some more traditional quilts.

Thanks for reading today,

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Not sure these are my cup of tea, but the detail in the last quilt is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.