Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Too picky - WIP Wednesday

I am off to the Road to California Quilt show early this morning.  I can't wait to see what wonderful things await me there!

Thanks to the holiday on Monday, and a sick Olivia (nothing serious, just no school), I don't feel like I've spent much time at the machine the last few days.  I did put the borders on the OBW quilt.

B&W OBW WIP

I had just enough of the original fabric left to make a border.  The quilt is now a decent lap throw size.  I am stumped on how to back it.  Usually, I use left over fabric from piecing to back my quilts - but this one just had the one fabric and I used it all.  A nice navy solid would look nice, but I don't have much left from the Totally Groovy quilt.  I'm not ready for a white backing.  I have a few other blues that would do, but not enough and for some reason they don't look good used together.  Perhaps I am getting too picky??   A possibility!

I'll worry more about it when I return from the quilt show.  I wonder how many Inspirational Sunday's posts I will get out of this show.  I hope you come back to find out.

This Wednesday...

Completed Projects:
  • How Far Will You Go? QAL - done!  Hooray!
  • closer shot of top
  • Bee Blocks - 1 Star of Africa, and 1 1/2 Lucky Stars BOM (I will post next week)

On-going Projects:

AKA - "stuff I plan to touch this week or next".
  • My Blue & White One Block Wonder -This is my January UFO - I finished up the borders for this one, but I am still contemplating what to do for the backing.
  • Bee Blocks & BOM blocks - January Bee's are done, Lucky Star BOM is done, just need to get crackin' on the Skill Builder BOM
  • Star of Africa Bee - catch up time!!  
  • Curves Class goodies - Class started last week, but I have been a little distracted.  I am super excited about several of the projects that have been presented so far.  Hopefully you will be seeing some from me soon.
  • Discontinuity Quilt - this is a class I am taking tomorrow at Road to California!  During the class, we are supposed to complete 1/2 of a crib-sized quilt.  I am determined not to let it stay 1/2 a quilt.  

Back Burner:

These will likely be touched in a couple of weeks.
  • Handstitched Medallion Quilt - quilting in progress. 
  • Beginner Quilt Along at Quilting Gallery - top needs to be put together. It is ridiculous that I haven't just slapped this one together
  • Charity quilt for the guild - not started.   
  • NEW Baby quilt - two friends are having a babies soon, and it sounds like a perfect reason to make a couple new quilts, right?  
The Back, Back Burner:

Lightning would have to strike twice, but I like to keep this category going just to remind me what I have in the pipeline.
  • Handstitched goodies - several small projects in limbo.  
  • Star Circles aka New York Beauty blocks - time is coming to get back to these

This week's stats:
Completed projects - 2
New projects - 0
Currently in Progress - 5

Don't forget to link up any blocks you have been working on to the Building Blocks Tuesday post!

And as always, thanks for reading,

Jen

Quilter in the Closet

Linking up with
 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful projects! I especially like your How Far Will You Go quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Backing. I read you. I'm picky myself and tend to be a left-overs piecer. So I get it.

    What about combining the few blues that do look good together with the leftover navy and then use white to fill in what that doesn't cover? That way it's not white but it still might save you from buying a ton more fabric. Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the How Far Will You Go Quilt! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often I use fleece blankets rather than wadding and backing fabric, I get them from Ikea, (about the same price a a FQ) and they are lovely and snugly. (not the pale blue one, for some reason they are much thinner than the others)

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.