Monday, January 14, 2013

Giving Hearts

I'm not sure I have ever met a group as wonderful as the quilters of the world.  It seems like everyone who quilts has a giving heart, and shares the warmth and love a quilt provides.  So, today I wanted to share two ways you can help others with your quilty goodness.

First, Jess from the Elven Garden is asking for quilty donations for those affected by the Tasmanian Wildfires.  Here is her post - I couldn't have said it better, so I hope she doesn't mind that I copied her post and put it below.  We have a lot of fires here in Southern California, and the effects are devastating, both physically and emotionally.  If you can help in some way, please do!


Tassie Bush Fire Quilt Appeal

As some of you may be aware, my home state of Tasmania has been devastated by some huge bushfires in the last week. Many, many homes have been completely destroyed and families have lost everything. The latest report is that about 200 homes have been either destroyed or severely damaged in the bushfires.
According to the Tasmanian Government, the best way to help is to donate money at either

St Vincent de Paul - 131 812 or www.vinnies.org.au, or
Red Cross - 1800 811 700 or www.redcross.org.au

If you're local, donations of the following are being accepted:
  • Toilet packs 
  • Essential new clothing 
  • Necessities for children and babies 
  • Batteries (including 9V) 
  • Torches 
  • Lanterns 
  • First Aid supplies 
  • Sunscreen 
  • Aeroguard 
  • Blankets and bedding 
My heart goes out to all the people and families affected by the fires. What I've decided to do is ask for donations of baby's and kids quilts to pass on to the families who have lost so much in the fires. If you can help out with this, please let me know and I'll give you details of where to send them.

If you have quilt tops that just need backing and quilting, I'd be happy to accept these too and quilt them up myself to give to the families who've been affected.

UPDATE: There is a register being set up of children who have been affected by the fires - all the donated quilts will be matched to a recipient via the register (based on gender and age), and delivered directly to the families in need. This will be an ongoing effort, so there is not really an accurate time frame I can give.

There is also a handmade auction being hosted by The Handmade Library - if you are interested in donating anything for the auction, you can find the Facebook group here.

Thanks so much,

Jess




Also, there is a online auction of handmade items going on via Facebook.  The auction benefits the Newton Parent Connection of Sandy Hook, CT.

You can read more about it at the Imagine Gnats Blog or go directly to the auction on Facebook here.  There may even be more time to donate an item for the auction if you hurry!

handmade for newtown button

Thanks for reading!  I'm off to check on the bidding and see if there is a quilt top somewhere I can donate to Jess.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.