Sunday, August 26, 2012

Inspiration Sunday (5) - via the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach

What goodies do I have for you today?  Well, this Sunday I thought I would share some of the wonderful appliqued quilts that caught my eye.

First up, one of my favorites, "Harmony in Nature" by Harumi Asada of Higashiura, Japan.  It is machine pieced, hand appliqued and hand quilted.




I just love everything about it - all the interesting animals she included, the tiny pieces, the beading on the coral to add texture, and especially the colors!

This one is called "Deep Within My Heart Lies a Melody; A Memory of Texas" by Polly Mello and Illona Hull of Elkridge, Maryland. The design was from Barbara Brachman's  Prairie Flower, A Year on the Prairie.  Interpretations of blocks by Susan Delaney, Rose Hahn, Sharon Wilhelm, and Bea Oglesby.  All other designs were by the makers of the quilt.  Whew!  It was Hand appliqued, hand embroidered, inked and machine quilted.


I know the pictures don't do this quilt justice.  There was always someone standing in front of it.  That's because what makes this quilt so interesting is all the unexpected things that you don't normally see on an appliqued quilt.  It has snakes and about 50 insects mingling in with the flowers, buffalo, even longhorn cattle with her family's brands on them!  It was really neat to look at.

This one is called "Galaxy" by Kayoko Hata of Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan.  It is hand pieced, hand quilted, and hand embroidered.  It was inspired by a book of appliqued lace patterns.



I can only imagine hand piecing all those tiny blocks for the background.  And the lace patterns give the quilt an old fashioned feel, yet the design is pretty modern.  It is interesting indeed!

Finally, "Happy Birthday" by Harumi Asada of Higashiura, Japan.  It is machine pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted, and computer printed.  This is a memory quilt of her first granddaughter's first year.  I don't know if it was actually a 1 year old's birthday present, but WOW nonetheless!  Our girls are lucky to get a quilt by the time they are 3, and nothing like this design!



I just love all the amazing colors and adorable little pictures centered in the stars.  Too cute!!

I looks like I might have enough pictures for at least 2 more Sundays, so be sure to check back for more eye candy!

Jen

1 comment:

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.