It's the middle of the month and I finally have a finish to share!
Look familiar? This is the 2nd quilt I've made in these colors using Emily Cier's pattern "Discontinuity". I took her class way back in January of 2013, and made this baby quilt (which gave to Olivia).
At the time, I was so tired from piecing all those 723 pieces together that I really didn't want to put much effort into quilting it. So, it is just stitched in the ditch. (BORING!)
I really loved the look of this pattern, but the piecing method left me cold. I had ordered enough fabric to make the quilt into a twin size, and it seemed a waste not to use it. So, I tried to apply a log cabin approach to the piecing, like I did with Emily's "In the Groove" pattern (see my quilt here). I reported about the log cabin piecing of Discontinuity 2 here (only one step down seam!). Then the quilt top sat in a box until about 2 months ago.
My husband's cousin had her first baby in January. Said cousin is very modern, loves art, loves modern art, AND she had a baby girl. It seemed fortuitous that this quilt should be finished for her. But, I couldn't just SID, NO!! Any time saved having a quilt top already pieced had to be channeled into the quilting process! So I quilted a different motif for each color. This was made possible by using the log cabin method of piecing. I'm not sure it would have the same effect if I had made it using the approach in the original pattern.
This time around, I also found the perfect backing!
I love the texture all that quilting gives, and I hope the baby does too.
Thanks for reading today,
Linking up with: