Wednesday, June 5, 2013

New beds need new quilts, right? - WIP Wednesday

It's been a few weeks since I gave a WIP Wednesday report and I have a whole bunch of things going on right now.

I've spent the last few days preparing Olivia's room for some new furniture.  That entailed moving some furniture to storage, a few trips to the Salvation Army donation site, and a lot of just moving stuff around.  I've now added a couple of Advil to my daily diet.

If you ask her, Olivia says she's not ready for a big girl bed, but she's getting one anyway.  She's been in a toddler bed for almost a year.  Between the recommendation that we show that room with a real bed in it when we are ready to sell our condo, and a perfectly timed visit from my mother (who needs a bed to sleep in too), we went ahead and bought beds (yes bed(s)) for her room.  I am an advocate for buying bunk beds, but then keeping them as twin beds until your kids are old enough for bunks.  Since I only have 3 kids, this gives us an extra bed for sleepovers or guests of the larger variety.  Hmm, new beds need new quilts, right?

I'm also teaching my last two art classes for the year at the elementary school this week.  My kids will finally learn how to paint like Picasso!  We are emulating some of his later work when he painted views outside the window of his Cannes villa.  Oddly, there are more birds painted inside the window, than the view outside and they are part of our study.  I will post pictures when Ashley's class is done.

What little sewing time I've had the past few days has been spend on the Impromptu QAL.  I got all my cutting done, the larger blocks complete, the 9 patches complete and have just started making them disappear!  Here are some not so special pics of the blocks so far.

Impromptu WIP - big blocks

Impromptu WIP - 9 patches

This pattern is coming together so quickly that more than once I've thought about adding a few blocks to make it king sized for my bed.  It would certainly go with the June for Jen theme as I currently don't have a quilt for my own bed!  And I just adore this Good Fortune fabric by Kate Spain, even the orange in it.  I guess I will see how the rest of the construction goes and contemplate whether or not I can really quilt a king sized quilt with my machine.

This Wednesday...

Completed Projects:
  • Bee Blocks - Guild BOM blocks (2 blocks)
  • Star of Africa - February Block is DONE!
  • Quilt for Hands 2 Help Charity Drive - DONE!
  • Item for the "Say it with Flowers" Blog Hop - DONE!  see it here
On-going Projects:

AKA - "stuff I plan to touch this week or next".
  • Bee Blocks & BOM blocks - Simply Solids (1 blocks), We Bee Learning (1 block), Make it Modern (2 blocks), and Lucky Star BOM (2 blocks), 
  • Star of Africa Bee - March, and April, and now June blocks need to be completed.  I ran out of Steam a Seam (my go to fusible) and Joann's was actually OUT of it.  I bought something else, but I am not sure how it will go.
  • Handstitched Medallion Quilt - I'm just doing some SID this month, hand quilting will still be in progress.
  • Impromptu QAL - Cutting is done, piecing is in progress.  This one is really coming together quickly!
  • Swoon - cutting has commenced!
  • Do I want to make a mini for the Modern Mini challenge??  That's just crazy, right?
  • June for Jen items - ironing board cover, sewing machine mat and cover.
Back, Back, Back Burner:

These will likely be touched sometime in the future - I should really rename this category to "I want to remember that I have these projects, but realistically they won't be touched till 2015 because I'm too busy doing other stuff"
  • Beginner Quilt Along at Quilting Gallery - Piecing the backing is in progress
  • Discontinuity 2 - gotta make it bigger for big girl bed.  On hold for now.
  • Curves Class goodies - there are a few more projects I want to try, but they are on hold for now.   
This week's stats:
Completed projects - 2 plus blocks
New projects - 4 WOW!
Currently in Progress - 7 ish

Don't forget to link up any blocks you have been working on to the Building Blocks Tuesday post!  Oh!  And, I put together a Facebook page for Quilter in the Closet.  I'm not entirely sure what I will do with it yet, other than post random thoughts, but "Like" it if you want.

And as always, thanks for reading,

Jen

Quilter in the Closet

Linking up with
 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

7 comments:

  1. OOOOhh...love the colors! What a sweet pattern. Having a 'big girl' isn't always easy on us moms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent philosophy! I'm trying out QAYG for my next quilt, I think it will be a lot more fun than fussing with the whole thing on a domestic machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunk beds are a great idea! Did your kids sleep with you when they were little? I still have a 2 1/2 year old nursing and sleeping with us. I have tried EVERYTHING to wean her, but she's just not going with the program. I don't think I can move her to her bed until she can go back to sleep on her own without nursing. This is one reason I'm not sure I want to have another baby...

    I think you should do the mini! Did you do it last year? I have no idea what her husband will pick, but I think there's a good chance anyone could win. I probably will just enter a mug rug I made earlier this year since I don't have any ideas for something else to make right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have fun with the room make over! the blocks look great, im looking forward to seeing how they work together

    ReplyDelete
  5. New beds definitely need new quilts Jen! Hope you manage to make one for your own bed sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think bunk beds are a great idea! And new quilts will be lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do like to keep busy, don't you… :-) Those blocks are cute - I don't blame you for wanting to comandeer them for your own bed!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.