Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Simple is hard - Building Blocks Tuesday

I've got nothing new this week :( !  I've been working on my garden, and quilting up those Block Two's for the Technicolor Galaxy quilt that I already shared on Friday.

I haven't worked on any new blocks this week, but I have been thinking about what blocks I should ask the ladies in the We Bee Canadian bee to make for me in a couple of months when it is my turn.

I find it to be an incredibly difficult choice.  On the one hand, I want some blocks that I think I will be able to put into a quilt that I will actually use.  My personal taste is a bit all over the place, but I guess I favor some more complex designs.  On the other hand, I don't always receive useable blocks when I ask for something complex, so I try to keep it simple.  I said "TRY".

Simply Solid October

Choosing a simple block even has it downfalls.   There is nothing overly difficult about making HST's.  It is the lining up of the HST's together that is difficult!  I don't expect everything to be perfect, but everyone has a different level of acceptability.

I made the above block a few years ago for the Simply Solids Bee.  Don't worry Ladies, I am not going to ask you to make this block......probably.

Hmmm, I think I will ponder these things a little more.  Have you every asked for a bee block that has gone horribly wrong??

What blocks have you working on this week?  I would love to see.  Link up your fabulous blocks.  You put a lot of hard work into them - show them off!  This free linky will stay open until the first Monday of next month, but I will repost it every Tuesday until a new month starts.


Quilter in the Closet

Rules:

1) Please link up only to the page in your blog showing your wonderful blocks, not just the blog homepage.  Flickr and Instagram pictures are also OK.
2) Make sure to put your blog name as the description so people know where they are going or the name of your block!
3) Please grab my button and post it in your blog post or sidebar.
4) Visit other linky participants!

Thanks for reading,

Jen






6 comments:

  1. For bee blocks, I would recommend something that can be trimmed to a consistent size without losing the design. The block you showed would be too difficult to do that. A log cabin or rail fence would work, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    I hear ya about blocks. Something I have thought about is picking 2 blocks that would hopefully work together, and have different levels of difficulty- giving a little flexibility for the others skill/comfort level. I am up for challenges- just so you know:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not nor ever plan to be in a bee simply because I'd have a hard time receiving blocks that weren't - well, acceptable. (I was in the same swap for four rounds and received what was listed on my likes once. I know - it's luck of the draw.) I've only been quilting five years but I had a fabulous My First Quilt teacher. Yes, mistakes happen and points get cut off but generally those things can be avoided if the person takes their time and follows the "quilting rules." I'm not trying to be a toot here. I was at a sew-in with a girl who said her seams never matched up and she cut off all of her points. Well, she didn't pin and she ran her sewing machine 100 miles per hour. I guess what I'm rambling about is that I want you to know I validate your concerns and agree with Shasta - pick a block that you can trim to a consistent size and go with it. No one needs any more blocks piled in a corner because you can't use them for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not dare do a sewing bee as my blocks leave a lot to be desired! I do like quilts made with all different blocks as it can be boring making lots of blocks all the same liking the block you are considering I am sure you will find one to suit everyone who takes part

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely struggle with this as my bee has a range of skill levels and comfort zones. One month I gave several options for variations on a sawtooth block. So people who only wanted to do a basic sawtooth could do that, while others could do more complicated ones. This month I asked for an improv block - it's intentionally wonky so it's ok if it's not perfect and it won't be noticeable if I have to trim blocks or make alterations to some. We'll see how they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely block....colours are lovely! I am going to have to add this linky to my linky page so I remember to link up when I have something to add.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.