Sunday, March 27, 2016

Inspirational Sunday (5) - via QuiltConWest 2016

Happy Easter!  And thank you for joining me this Sunday.

Today I am going to start sharing quilts from the "Modern Traditionalism" category.  I think you will agree that they are a really interesting group.  I took quite a few pictures of this category, so I am going to split it up and share on multiple Sundays.

First up, "Focal Point" by Christa Watson of Las Vegas, Nevada.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted without a frame.


"Focal Point" by Christa Watson of Las Vegas, Nevada.


Having an off center big block is a popular choice with modern quilters.  I especially like how Christa quilted it with a spiral, which is in contrast to all the sharp points of her blocks.


Next up is a two color quilt called, "Cabogo" by Silvia Sutters of Edwardsville, Illinois.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted without a frame.


"Cobogo" by Silvia Sutters of Edwardsville, Illinois

Silvia was inspired by artist Victor Vasarely (who has very 3 dimensional graphic works) and tiles used in Brazil.


close up of "Cobogo" by Silvia Sutters of Edwardsville, Illinois

Upon closer look, her blocks are drunkards path.

Another drunkards path quilt was "Flounce" by Melanie Tuazon of Livingston, New Jersey.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted without a frame.


"Flounce" by Melanie Tuazon of Livingston, New Jersey.


This quilt won 2nd place in the category.  I like how each column has one block in print fabrics.  Sometimes I wish we could see more examples of modern quilts with more prints in them.

And finally for today, "Blueberries for Sal" by Elisa Albury of Salt Lake City, Utah.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted without a frame.


"Blueberries for Sal" by Elisa Albury of Salt Lake City, Utah

I really like these simple blocks, and especially liked seeing some of the hand stitching in random places.

close up of "Blueberries for Sal" by Elisa Albury of Salt Lake City, Utah


What about you?  Have you made any "Modern Traditionalism" type quilts?


Thanks for reading today,

Jen

5 comments:

  1. I never get tired of looking at lovely quilts, and I do think there is a place for prints in modern quilts, I like how a bit of print fabric can break up the vast expanse of solid fabric and add a highlight to it. I haven't made any "Modern Traditionalism" type quilts yet, although I do have one sketched out and plan to make it "one day"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Esp. that first one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty new to this modern quilting movement. Can you help me better understand what the "without a frame" criteria means? Does that mean it was done on a regular sewing machine rather than a long arm? Or something completely new I should know about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it Robby, without a frame is a domestic machine or a sitdown longarm (like a Sweet 16) where the quilter moves the quilt UNDER the machine, whereas with a frame (longarm) the quilter moves the machine OVER the quilt.

      Delete
    2. Great explanation, thank you!

      Delete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.