Friday, March 20, 2015

Tula Pink Mini - finish Friday

It feels like a really long time since I've finished anything.  I guess I've been working on so many different things that "the finishing" has been spread a little thin.

That said, there is nothing like a deadline to spur a finish, and the ship date for the Tula Pink Mini Quilt Swap (through Instagram) is next week.  The theme for this swap was obviously, Tula Pink's fabrics, and we had to use them in the majority.  My partner gave me just the right amount of information to come up with this mini for him/her.


Tula Pink Mini Quilt Swap item - front


This block is the Esme Restyled block, and I found it in issue 16 of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine.  Lynne from Lily's Quilts had a BOM feature in the magazine and this was one of the blocks.

I was going to try to fussy cut the octopi, but I didn't quite have enough fabric.  In the end, I liked how it seemed like they were peeking out from sections of the block.


Tula Pink Mini Quilt Swap item

And, of course, I quilted it almost to submission.  On Instagram, I apologized to my partner, trying to explain that I have a condition, a form of neurosis called, Blank Space Aversion Syndrome.  I just can't leave background or solid fabrics alone.  I went on to explain that there was hope - not for this mini, but for future ones - as I did not quilt inside the diamonds as I was tempted to do.  Perhaps these little steps will one day lead to a cure?

I even quilted a little seahorse to go with the Salt Water theme.  It created the perfect place to put my label on the back.


Tula Pink Mini Quilt Swap item (back)


Yep, that is the back.  This swap had a strict "no extras" policy, which I can appreciate, but clearly had trouble with.  I was hoping by making a back just as fun as the front that my partner would have 2 minis in 1, and thus double the fun.  For this reason, I did not put hanging triangles on the back.  I've started hanging my minis with some refrigerator clips from Command.

This block is called the Woven Star, and is a free pattern on the StitchSupply Co's website.

So those are 2 new blocks that I tried out in one little mini!

Well, there it is, all finished up.  I just need to stuff it in an envelope and send it on it's way.  I hope my partner likes it.


Thanks for reading today,


Jen




Linking up with:


Celtic Thistle Stitches  





8 comments:

  1. Wow!! Your mini (or should is say "Minis) is gorgeous! At first I thought your quilting was the pattern in the fabric. It is wonderful. And what a great surprise to have two quilts in one! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Your quilting added extra dimension to it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous mini Jen, I am sure that your swap partner will love it!

    The quilted seahorse is absolutely the icing on the cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I love the feeling of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out beautiful! The quilting and that little seahorse...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would feel very blessed if I received that great mini. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome mini and I love that it is double sided - lucky partner !

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.