Sunday, March 1, 2015

Inspirational Sunday (3) via the Quilts exhibit at Muzeo 2015

I am sorry that I forgot to post last Sunday.  My mind was elsewhere while at QuiltCon, so I will post 2 Inspirational Sunday posts today and I will try to wrap up my visit to Muzeo in Anaheim next Sunday.

This post will show you some more of the antique quilts from the exhibit.

This beauty is called "Coxcomb and Berries" by Cora Arabelle Eckles Dinsmore of New Castle, Pennsylvania c. 1925-1935.

Coxcomb and Berries by Cora Arabelle Eckles Dinsmore c. 1925-1935


All those tiny appliqued circles!

This next one is called "Star and Chintz Album", maker unknown c. 1935-1955.

Star and Chintz Album, maker unknown c. 1935-1955


While viewing this one, I learned about Florence Peto and the Colonial Revival movement.

This red and white quilt is called "Burgoyne Surrounded", maker unknown c. 1928.

Burgoyne Surrounded, maker unknown c. 1928


This was another quilt that was influenced by the Colonial Revival, and I was interested to learn that the pattern was influenced by historic weaving patterns of the 1800's.  The name of the pattern commemorates the Battle of Saratoga, when American troops surrounded and captured General Burgoyne's forces.  This particular battle is remembered as an important turning point in the Revolutionary War.

As I've been on a bit of an EPP kick lately, I was delighted to see this "Hexagon Star", maker unknown c. 1860-1880.  I only wish the lighting was better in this part of the museum!

Hexagon Star, maker unknown, c. 1860-1880

I learned that they didn't necessarily call this type of work "English Paper Piecing" back then, rather "Mosaic Patchwork".

I'm not sure an antique quilt exhibit would be complete without a crazy quilt.  This one was titled, "Crazy Quilt" (go figure), maker unknown, dated 1884.

Crazy Quilt, maker unknown, c. 1884


I had no idea that crazy quilts were the result of dissatisfied Americans, fed up with their busy lives in the early 1900's, who were inspired by more relaxed Asian cultures.  The "crazy" format echoed a cracked-ice design common in Chinese and Japanese art.  Cool.

close up of Crazy Quilt, maker unknown, c. 1884


Have you ever wanted to make a crazy quilt?  I have to think it would be a great scrap buster, no?

That's it for this post.  I will be posting another today to finish up the antique portion of the exhibit.


Thanks for reading,


Jen







3 comments:

  1. I never ever want to make crazy quilt. That is the least fav kind of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all beautiful quilts. Both Burgoyne Surrounded and a crazy quilt are on my to-do list. I have started a small crazy quilt, but it is time-consuming with all the embroidery and applique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to make a crazy, but I feel it should be dark jewel colours, satins, silks, velvets - none of which exist in my stash!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.